Sunday, June 21, 2009

Book Club and Vampire Novels

I am a member of a book club and have been for about seven years now and I came to the conclusion a few months ago that for me book club had run its course. I am studying at University as well as working full time so I am not what you could refer to as time rich. I had really turned away from reading in the last few months and I talked myself into thinking that it was university that was to blame when in fact it wasn’t. Then I had a light bulb moment. I was in KMART looking at the books as I always do and it hit me while standing there holding a copy of Marked, the simple fact is that I have not been enjoying book club nor the books that we have been reading for quite some time. I think there are things in your life that run a certain course and for me the book club road has come to an end for two reasons.

BookClub. There is far too much politics these days in book club. It should be a place that you go to escape real life for a few hours instead you constantly have to be careful who’s toes you might step on before you do anything. You cannot even attend a book club group event and hope to relax there is always personal questions and some in depth discussion required even at a Christmas event. Life is too short to be around people that drive you crazy.

The Books. I have also found myself less than thrilled with the books that have been pitched of late and the depth of the conversation of those books. It seems to me that there has been little care put into selecting books to pitch and as little thought into the discussion of them. Life is also too short to be reading books that you don’t enjoy and then have to discuss them.
Leaving the book club was not an easy decision for me to make I have at times over the years out a lot of hard work into the club but the simple fact is I don’t have the same passion or patients for it anymore. I want to read the books that I want to read and in the time frame that I decide. So on that note, I have bought myself a whole lot of new – yes you guessed it vampire novels to read. I have got the first three books of The House of Night novels and all nine True Blood Novels. Once I have read a book I will write a review and post it here. The challenge is to even keep reading once University goes back next session.

Stayed Tuned.

No comments: